Smoked Salmon Tortellini with Bechamel Sauce
I derived this recipe after tasting something similar at a restaurant. It is wonderfully rich and filling.
- 2 (9 ounce) packages cheese tortellini
- 1 ¼ cups milk
- ¼ small onion
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- ½ pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and quartered
- 10 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 pound smoked salmon, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, and cook the tortellini 7 to 8 minutes, or until al dente. Drain, and transfer to a large bowl.
- 2. In a saucepan over low heat, simmer the milk, onion, bay leaf, cloves, and nutmeg about 15 minutes. Remove from heat, and discard the onion, bay leaf, and cloves.
- 3. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in the red bell pepper and asparagus, and cook about 3 minutes. Stir in the mushrooms, and continue cooking until tender. Mix in the smoked salmon, reduce heat to low, and cook until heated through.
- 4. Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a saucepan over medium heat, and slowly whisk in the flour until smooth. Thoroughly blend in the warmed milk. Stir into the skillet with the salmon mixture.
- 5. Spoon the salmon and sauce mixture into the bowl with the cooked pasta, and toss to coat.
serving: 8 servings
calories: 364.4 kcal
carbohydrates: 36.5 g
protein: 22.6 g
saturated fat: 7.5 g
cholesterol: 59.4 mg
sodium: 745.9 mg
fiber: 3 g
sugar: 5.2 g