Chicken Enchilada Pasta
I thought this would make a delicious alternative from our usual enchiladas or tacos and I was right. We love this! The sauce is so flavorful! It also makes some fabulous leftovers! Run, don't walk, to the grocery store to pick up the ingredients for this yumminess as soon as you can! Top with avocado, green onion, black olives, tomatoes, and sour cream.
- 1 (16 ounce) package penne pasta, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cooked chicken breasts, shredded, or more to taste
- 2 (10 ounce) cans green enchilada sauce
- ⅔ cup red enchilada sauce
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chiles
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil; add penne and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender yet firm to the bite, about 11 minutes. Drain and return pasta to the pot.
- 2. Heat oil in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat. Saute onion in hot oil until slightly softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir red bell pepper and garlic into onion; saute until fragrant and softened, another 3 to 5 minutes.
- 3. Stir chicken, green enchilada sauce, red enchilada sauce, diced green chiles, chili powder, cumin, and salt into onion mixture; bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low, and simmer until flavors blend, 8 to 10 minutes. Add Colby-Jack cheese and stir until melted and heated through, 1 to 3 minutes.
- 4. Reduce heat to low and stir sour cream into enchilada mixture; cook and stir until heated through. Pour enchilada mixture over penne pasta and toss to coat completely.