Slow Cooker Candied Purple Yams
Our family loves candied yams and this year I decided to try purple yams, also known as "ube." The bright purple colored yams added festiveness and a pop to our dining table.
- nonstick cooking spray
- 2 large purple yams, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 cups brown sugar
- ¼ cup melted butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons shredded coconut
- 1. Spray the inside of a slow cooker with cooking spray.
- 2. Place one layer of yam slices in the prepared slow cooker and sprinkle with brown sugar until covered. Repeat layers until all yams are placed in slow cooker.
- 3. Mix melted butter, vanilla extract, and salt together in a small bowl; pour over yams in the slow cooker.
- 4. Cook until yams are soft when pricked with a fork, 4 hours on Low or 2 hours on High. Transfer yams to a serving dish.
- 5. Pour juices from the slow cooker into a small saucepan and heat over medium-low until juices reach a soft boil.
- 6. Stir together cornstarch and water in a small bowl until smooth; add to the juices in the saucepan and continue to boil, stirring constantly, until sauce has thickened. Pour sauce over yams and sprinkle with shredded coconut.
serving: 8 servings
calories: 279.7 kcal
carbohydrates: 55 g
protein: 1.6 g
saturated fat: 4.5 g
cholesterol: 15.3 mg
sodium: 138.3 mg
fiber: 0.3 g
sugar: 35.4 g