Baked Swedish Rice Pudding
A bit different; it includes baked meringue. Serve warm or cold.
- 4 cups milk
- ½ cup long grain rice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 egg yolks, room temperature
- ½ cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 egg whites, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 2-quart casserole dish.
- 2. Bring milk to a boil in a large saucepan. Stir rice and salt into milk, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring frequently, until rice is tender, about 18 minutes.
- 3. Beat egg yolks, 1/2 cup sugar, butter, and vanilla extract together in a bowl until combined. Stir 1 cup of the hot rice mixture into egg mixture until well-mixed.
- 4. Pour egg mixture into rice mixture in the saucepan; bring to a boil, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens, about 1 minute. Pour into prepared casserole dish.
- 5. Beat egg whites in a glass or metal bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually add 3 tablespoons sugar, continuing to beat until stiff peaks form. Lift your beater or whisk straight up: the egg whites will form sharp peaks. Spread egg white mixture over rice mixture, ensuring that egg whites are spread to the edges of the casserole dish.
- 6. Bake in the preheated oven until golden, about 15 minutes.
serving: 2 quart casserole
calories: 231.1 kcal
carbohydrates: 32.6 g
protein: 8 g
saturated fat: 4.2 g
cholesterol: 119.8 mg
sodium: 248.1 mg
fiber: 0.2 g
sugar: 23.1 g