Mexican Bison Bake with Cilantro-Lime Cream
Browned ground bison with tomatoes and penne pasta gets a Mexican-inspired twist with cumin, oregano, and black beans in this easy weeknight casserole.
- 6 ounces dried penne pasta
- 1 pound ground bison
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- ¾ cup salsa
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ cup crushed tortilla chips
- ½ cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon sliced green onion
- ⅔ cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons sliced green onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ teaspoon finely shredded lime zest
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Cover and keep warm.
- 2. Meanwhile, cook ground bison and garlic over medium heat in a large skillet until meat is brown. Drain off fat.
- 3. Stir cooked pasta into the cooked, drained ground bison in the skillet. Stir in beans, undrained tomatoes, salsa, oregano, cumin, and chili powder.
- 4. Transfer mixture to an ungreased 2-quart baking dish or casserole. Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with tortilla chips (if using) and cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 5 more minutes or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with the 1 tablespoon green onion and serve with Cilantro-Lime Cream.
- 5. Cilantro-Lime Cream: Combine sour cream, the 3 tablespoons green onions, the cilantro, and lime zest in a small bowl. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
serving: 6 servings
calories: 374.9 kcal
carbohydrates: 41.5 g
protein: 26.4 g
saturated fat: 6 g
cholesterol: 59.8 mg
sodium: 687.4 mg
fiber: 7.8 g
sugar: 3.3 g