Broccoli Cheese Squares
So incredibly good you will not believe how easy they are to make. A family secret recipe that leaves lots of room for interpretation. We eat these a lot in the summer for dinner with a salad and a loaf of good bread. YUM! But be sure that if adding cooked ingredients, allow them to cool a bit before adding milk and eggs so they don't start to scramble. Eat lukewarm for best flavor or warm.
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen broccoli florets, thawed and drained
- 1 pound shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Place butter in a 9x13-inch casserole dish; place the casserole dish in the preheating oven until butter melts.
- 2. Mix broccoli, Cheddar cheese, milk, flour, eggs, baking powder, salt, and black pepper in a large bowl. Pour mixture over melted butter in the casserole dish.
- 3. Bake in the preheated oven until casserole is golden brown on top and cheese is melted, 30 to 45 minutes. Cut into squares to serve. Eat at room temperature for best flavor.