Tina's Greek Stuffed Peppers
I took my some of my favorite Greek ingredients to make these delicious stuffed bell peppers. The ground lamb can be replaced with ground beef or turkey if you wish.
- ½ pound orzo pasta
- olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 ½ pounds ground lamb
- 4 ½ teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 8 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- 6 large green or red bell peppers - tops removed and seeded
- olive oil
- 1. Bring a pot of lightly salted water to a boil over high heat. Cook the orzo in the boiling water uncovered, stirring occasionally, until tender yet firm to the bite, about 8 minutes. Drain.
- 2. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat; cook and stir the onion and garlic in the hot oil until fragrant, about 1 minute. Crumble the ground lamb into the mixture; season with the oregano, basil, and salt and pepper. Continue cooking until the lamb is completely browned, 7 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir the orzo, spinach, tomatoes, tomato paste, and feta cheese into the lamb mixture until evenly incorporated.
- 3. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- 4. Evenly rub the outside of the bell peppers and the tops with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Arrange in a baking dish large enough to accommodate all of them standing upright. Fill the peppers with the lamb mixture and replace the tops.
- 5. Bake in the preheated oven until the peppers begin to brown, 30 to 40 minutes.
serving: 6 stuffed peppers
calories: 639.4 kcal
carbohydrates: 51 g
protein: 36.2 g
saturated fat: 13.6 g
cholesterol: 109.5 mg
sodium: 775 mg
fiber: 8.9 g
sugar: 13.1 g