Pumpkin Seed Beer Brittle
I thought I'd make beer brittle with pumpkin seeds, and this is the delicious result!
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- ¾ cup raw cleaned whole pumpkin seeds
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 2 ¾ cups white sugar
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle beer
- 1. Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat, and cook and stir the pumpkin seeds until they have browned, about 10 minutes. Transfer into a bowl, and mix with cinnamon and cayenne pepper. Set aside. Butter a jellyroll pan, and set aside near the stove.
- 2. Butter a jellyroll pan, and set aside near the stove.
- 3. Combine the sugar and beer in a 2-quart saucepan over medium heat. Stir until the mixture boils and the sugar has dissolved. Continue to cook, stirring frequently, until the temperature measured by a candy thermometer reaches 300 degrees F (150 degrees C), about 40 minutes. When the candy reaches the correct temperature (hard crack) it will form brittle strings when dripped into ice water.
- 4. Remove the candy from the heat, and quickly stir in the pumpkin seeds. Pour the candy carefully into the prepared jellyroll pan to form a thin layer; allow to cool. Break the candy into bite-size pieces once cool. Store in an airtight container.
serving: 40 servings
calories: 63.5 kcal
carbohydrates: 14.7 g
protein: 0.3 g
saturated fat: 0.1 g
sodium: 0.6 mg
fiber: 0.1 g
sugar: 13.7 g