Crispiest Buttermilk Fried Chicken
This is without a doubt the crispiest chicken you will ever prepare. I have made it time and time again to wonderful reviews. We love Popeyes® chicken and this puts it to shame. This is great for family picnics and so much cheaper than buying take-out. Yummy!
- cold water to cover
- ¼ cup kosher salt
- 8 skinless chicken legs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 ¼ tablespoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 ½ cups canola oil, for frying
- 1. Mix cold water and kosher salt together in a large bowl until salt dissolves. Add chicken legs. Cover entire bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- 2. Remove bowl from the refrigerator; drain and pat chicken dry with paper towels.
- 3. Place chicken legs in a plastic bag with 1 cup all-purpose flour and shake to coat.
- 4. Pour buttermilk into a bowl. Mix remaining flour, baking powder, salt, and cayenne in another bowl. Dip each chicken leg in buttermilk; move to flour mixture and coat well.
- 5. Heat canola oil in a deep-fryer to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- 6. Fry chicken legs in hot oil in batches until no longer pink at the bone and the juices run clear, about 15 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted near the bone should read 165 degrees F (74 degrees C).