Sweet and Savory Hasselback Butternut Squash
The glaze creates a smoky caramelized topping, and the cranberries and pistachios add tartness and crunch. My 10-year-old walked in as I pulled this from the oven for the first time and announced, 'that's beautiful!' It's just as amazing in flavor, and it makes a gorgeous, elegant side.
- 1 tablespoon oil, or as needed
- 1 large butternut squash - peeled, halved lengthwise, and seeded
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons water
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried orange peel
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 sprigs fresh oregano, or as needed
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup chopped pistachio nuts
- 1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- 2. Rub oil over squash and season with salt. Place on a rimmed baking sheet and add water.
- 3. Bake in the preheated oven until softened, about 20 minutes.
- 4. Meanwhile, combine butter, honey, cinnamon, garlic, oregano leaves, orange peel, and paprika in a small saucepan over medium heat. Heat sauce until combined, 1 to 3 minutes.
- 5. Remove squash from oven and reduce heat to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Allow squash to cool for 5 minutes.
- 6. Slice squash partway through vertically, leaving the bottom portion attached. Drizzle with 1/2 the sauce. Return to the hot oven and bake 10 minutes more.
- 7. Remove from the oven and press gently on the squash to separate slices. Drizzle 1/2 of the remaining sauce on top and return to the hot oven. Bake 10 more minutes.
- 8. Remove from oven and tuck oregano sprigs between slices or lay on top. Sprinkle with cranberries and pistachios and drizzle with remaining glaze.
- 9. Bake in the hot oven 10 minutes more.
serving: 4 servings
calories: 426.1 kcal
carbohydrates: 68 g
protein: 5.5 g
saturated fat: 8.3 g
cholesterol: 30.5 mg
sodium: 421.8 mg
fiber: 9.3 g
sugar: 30.5 g