Red Pepper Scallops on Potato Pancakes
I had a little bit of mashed potato, half a roasted red pepper, and a pound of scallops left over from a ceviche recipe. This was fast and fun: no recipes, no measuring, just intuitive cooking. Which is what made it so good.
- ½ red bell pepper
- ¾ cup cold mashed potatoes
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 1 pinch salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 pound scallops
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- cayenne pepper to taste
- ¼ cup fresh whole basil leaves, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon capers
- ¼ cup water
- 1. Set oven rack about 6 inches from the heat source and preheat the oven's broiler. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place the pepper, cut-side down, on the prepared baking sheet.
- 2. Cook pepper under the preheated broiler until pepper skin blackens and blisters, 5 to 8 minutes. Place blackened pepper into a bowl and tightly seal with plastic wrap. Allow the pepper to steam as it cools, about 20 minutes. Remove and discard skin; thinly slice pepper.
- 3. Stir mashed potatoes, egg, bread crumbs, salt, and black pepper together in a bowl until smooth.
- 4. Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Working in batches, drop batter by spoonfuls into hot oil and flatten out to form a small pancake. Cook until golden and crispy on one side, about 7 minutes. Flip and cook until golden and crispy on the other side, 5 to 7 minutes more. Wipe skillet clean with a paper towel.
- 5. Place scallops in a bowl and season olive oil, cayenne pepper, and salt.
- 6. Heat the same nonstick skillet over high heat. Place scallops in the center of the skillet; place red peppers in a pile in the side of the skillet. Cook scallops until a golden crust develops, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer scallops to a plate, leaving peppers in the skillet.
- 7. Cook and stir peppers, basil, butter, and capers together in the hot skillet; pour water into skillet, stir sauce, and remove from heat.
- 8. Arrange pancakes in a single layer on plates or a platter; place 2 to 3 scallops on each pancake. Top with pepper sauce.
serving: 4 servings
calories: 295.8 kcal
carbohydrates: 19.5 g
protein: 19.1 g
saturated fat: 4.9 g
cholesterol: 108.9 mg
sodium: 656.8 mg
fiber: 1.3 g
sugar: 1.5 g