Vegan Vegetarian Breakfast Sausage Patties
These are so delicious I can eat an entire batch in a day, and they're made from so many veggies! Can be kept in the freezer and reheated in the oven or microwave as needed.
- 6 cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- ½ onion, chopped
- ½ beet, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, or more as needed, divided
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 3 tablespoons ground flaxseed meal
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon liquid amino acids (such as Bragg®)
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1 ½ teaspoons rubbed sage
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1 pinch ground thyme
- 1. Combine mushrooms, celery, carrot, onion, and beet in a food processor. Blend into a chunky paste.
- 2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add vegetable paste and fry until the sharp onion taste is gone, about 10 minutes.
- 3. Combine cooked rice, flaxseed meal, sunflower seeds, maple syrup, liquid amino acids, fennel seeds, sage, red pepper flakes, nutmeg, black pepper, and thyme in a bowl. Stir until evenly mixed. Add the cooked vegetable paste and stir until sausage mixture is thoroughly combined.
- 4. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a clean nonstick skillet over medium heat. Scoop 1 tablespoon sausage mixture into a 1 1/2-inch patty and place in the hot skillet; repeat with remaining mixture. Brown for 3 minutes; flip and cook until browned on the other side, about 2 minutes more. Add more oil to the pan as needed.
serving: 30 small patties
calories: 86.6 kcal
carbohydrates: 9.6 g
protein: 2.1 g
saturated fat: 0.7 g
sodium: 82.4 mg
fiber: 2.1 g
sugar: 2.4 g