Mashed Potato Gratin
Everyone seems to have a Potato Gratin recipe in their family, and this is my family's, with the hallmark Italian flavors of garlic and Parmesan cheese.
- Unsalted butter for greasing casserole
- 2 ½ cups Progresso® chicken broth
- 4 large russet potatoes, peeled, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup Progresso® Italian style panko crispy bread crumbs
- 1. Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly butter 2-quart casserole. Pour broth into 2-quart saucepan. Add potatoes; stir in 1 teaspoon salt. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender. Place colander over medium bowl; drain potatoes, reserving broth.
- 2. Rinse and dry saucepan. Cook 2 tablespoons of the butter and the garlic in saucepan over low heat 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 3. Return potatoes to saucepan with butter and garlic; mash with potato masher.
- 4. Add 1 cup of the reserved broth to potatoes; mix until smooth. Stir in remaining 2 tablespoons butter and 1/4 cup of the cheese. Adjust seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.
- 5. Spoon potato mixture into casserole. Top with remaining 1/4 cup cheese and the bread crumbs. Bake about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
serving: 9 (1/2-cup) servings
calories: 263.4 kcal
carbohydrates: 37.7 g
protein: 7 g
saturated fat: 4.3 g
cholesterol: 18.6 mg
sodium: 755.9 mg
fiber: 2.2 g
sugar: 1.1 g