Rachael Ray's Panettone French Toast
We make this on Christmas morning and as we buy and receive lots of candied citrus cake--panettone--we make it for guests over many holiday weekend brunches. The recipe is equally delicious prepared with thick-sliced brioche or challah bread. We serve this with a petite smoked ham, sausage patties, or bacon.
- 6 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons superfine sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- ½ cup butter
- 1 ½ cups maple syrup
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 8 thick-cut slices panettone
- 1. In a large shallow dish, whisk up the eggs, salt, half-and-half, vanilla, almond extract, sugar, and nutmeg.
- 2. Heat a large griddle over medium heat.
- 3. In a small pan, melt the butter. In a small pot, gently warm the syrup with the cinnamon.
- 4. Paint the griddle with the butter. Soak 4 slices of bread at a time in the egg mixture, turning and draining off the excess. Cook each slice slowly for 7 to 8 minutes, turning occasionally, until deeply golden. Remove to a wire rack-lined baking sheet and repeat with the remaining 4 slices of bread.
- 5. Brush the toast with melted butter and serve, spooning the warm syrup over the top.
serving: 4 pieces
calories: 504.4 kcal
carbohydrates: 71.2 g
protein: 7 g
saturated fat: 11.1 g
cholesterol: 183.3 mg
sodium: 413.5 mg
fiber: 1.8 g
sugar: 51.5 g