This dessert is slightly exotic and is known by many people who have read the book 'The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe'. This would do well for a tea party, a holiday party, or even if you just wanted to surprise someone.
- 1 ½ cups water
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- ½ cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons orange zest
- 3 (.25 ounce) envelopes unflavored gelatin
- ¾ cup cornstarch
- ½ cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup chopped pistachio nuts
- confectioners' sugar for dusting
- 1. Bring 1 1/2 cups water, sugar, and corn syrup to a boil over medium-high heat in a large saucepan. Cook, stirring frequently, until the temperature reaches 240 degrees F (115 degrees C) on a candy thermometer. Set aside and keep hot.
- 2. Stir together orange juice and orange zest, sprinkle with gelatin, and set aside. In a small bowl, dissolve cornstarch in 1/2 cup cold water, then stir into hot syrup. Place over medium-low heat, and simmer, stirring gently, until very thick.
- 3. Remove syrup from heat, stir in orange juice mixture, vanilla, and pistachios. Sprinkle a 8x8-inch pan generously with confectioners' sugar. Pour the Turkish delight into the pan, and let cool in a cool, dry place (not the refrigerator) until set, 3 to 4 hours.
- 4. When cool, sprinkle the top with another thick layer of powdered sugar. Cut into 1-inch squares, and dredge each well with confectioners' sugar. Store at room temperature in an airtight container.
serving: 12 servings
calories: 302 kcal
carbohydrates: 66.1 g
protein: 3.2 g
saturated fat: 0.4 g
sodium: 41.5 mg
fiber: 1 g
sugar: 54.2 g