R and R Pudding
Rutabaga and rice baked together in a casserole dish make a tasty side.
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup long-grain white rice
- 1 pound rutabaga, peeled and cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 dash ground nutmeg
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1. Place the water into a saucepan, add the rice, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir once, cover, reduce heat to low; and simmer until all moisture is absorbed and rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, place the rutabaga into a large pot, and fill with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, and cook until the rutabaga are tender and can be pierced with a fork, about 10 minutes.
- 3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 2 quart casserole dish.
- 4. Drain the rutabaga, and place into a mixing bowl. Add the milk, butter, sugar, salt, pepper, and ground nutmeg. Beat or mash the rutabaga until smooth. Stir in the cooked rice, and beat in the egg yolks.
- 5. Beat the egg whites in a separate bowl until stiff peaks form. Fold gently into the rutabaga mixture. Spoon mixture into prepared casserole dish.
- 6. Bake in preheated oven until top is lightly browned, about 1 hour.
serving: 8 servings
calories: 125.8 kcal
carbohydrates: 21 g
protein: 3.6 g
saturated fat: 1.6 g
cholesterol: 51.5 mg
sodium: 337.5 mg
fiber: 1.6 g
sugar: 10.3 g