Instant Pot® Apricot Chicken Tagine
This Moroccan chicken classic has been adapted to cook in the Instant Pot®. Most use dried apricots, but I prefer fresh apricots.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (1 inch) piece fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into large chunks
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 6 fresh apricots, pitted and halved
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 ½ ounces cooked Israeli couscous
- 1. Turn on a multi-functional pressure cooker (such as Instant Pot®) and select Saute function.
- 2. Heat vegetable oil in the hot cooker. Add onion and saute for 3 minutes. Stir in garlic and ginger and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in butter.
- 3. Mix cinnamon and cumin together in a small bowl. Reserve 1 teaspoon of the mixture; set aside. Season chicken thighs with remaining cinnamon and cumin mixture.
- 4. Place chicken into the Instant Pot® and sear, about 5 minutes per side. Pour in chicken broth and tomatoes. Close and lock the lid. Select high pressure according to manufacturer's instructions; set timer for 10 minutes. Allow 10 to 15 minutes for pressure to build.
- 5. Release pressure using the natural-release method according to manufacturer's instructions for 15 minutes. Release remaining pressure carefully using the quick-release method according to manufacturer's instructions, about 5 minutes. Unlock and remove the lid.
- 6. Place apricots into the liquid. Sprinkle chicken thighs with reserved 1 teaspoon cinnamon and cumin mixture. Drizzle honey over chicken thighs. Serve with tomato mixture on top of couscous.
serving: 4 servings
calories: 377.2 kcal
carbohydrates: 36.1 g
protein: 24.4 g
saturated fat: 4.6 g
cholesterol: 79.2 mg
sodium: 384.5 mg
fiber: 4 g
sugar: 12.3 g