Killer Shrimp Soup
There's an awesome little restaurant in Marina Del Rey, California called 'Killer Shrimp' that serves up one thing -- Shrimp soup. This is an easy to prepare spicy herb soup with lots of broth, flavor, and a little kick. It doesn't need any fancy presentation. Simply ladle it into big bowls and serve. Don't bother using spoons, just serve it with some crusty bread and use the bread to soak up the broth.
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons rosemary
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- ½ teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 cup clam juice
- ½ (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 pounds shrimp, with tails
- 1 (1 pound) loaf French bread
- 1. Pour broth into a large pot, and mix in rosemary, garlic, pepper, celery seed, fennel seed, clam juice, tomato paste, and butter. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Stir wine into the soup, and continue to simmer and occasionally stir 2 hours.
- 3. Just before serving, stir in shrimp. Continue cooking 3 minutes, or until shrimp are opaque. Serve with bread for soaking up all the yummy broth.