Whole-Family Pasta with Broccoli and Cauliflower
Many children, especially picky eaters, love pasta loaded with plain butter--a dish that clearly earns low marks on the health scale. This great alternative adds fiber and protein with beans, which kids actually love!
- 12 ounces penne or fusilli pasta
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 (15 ounce) can no-salt-added cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1. Cook pasta in a large pot of salted boiling water 2 minutes less than directed on package. Drain.
- 2. Meanwhile, cook garlic in oil in a large lidded pot over medium heat until golden, 3 to 4 minutes. Add broccoli and cauliflower and cook 1 minute. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt, and cook, covered, 3 minutes. Add broth, butter, beans, pepper, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and cook until beans are warm and sauce thickens slightly, about 5 minutes.
- 3. Add pasta and cook, stirring, until heated through, about 1 minute. Sprinkle with cheese.
serving: 12 cups
calories: 387 kcal
carbohydrates: 56.2 g
protein: 15.4 g
saturated fat: 4.5 g
cholesterol: 16 mg
sodium: 394.9 mg
fiber: 14.8 g
sugar: 3.6 g