Vern's Roasted Pork Loin Over Sauerkraut
A great autumn recipe! Pork loin is roasted over a bed of seasoned sauerkraut. I serve this with baked potato and butternut squash. Other seasonings can be added to the kraut mixture, such as thyme or caraway seed.
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 (2 pound) boneless pork loin roast
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 (16 ounce) can sauerkraut, drained
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 apple - peeled, cored, and chopped
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- 2. Heat vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat. Season pork roast with salt and black pepper. Brown the pork in the hot oil, about 5 minutes per side.
- 3. Mix sauerkraut, cream of mushroom soup, onion, apple, cranberries, salt, and black pepper in a bowl. Spoon the mixture into a baking dish and place the pork roast on top of the sauerkraut mixture.
- 4. Roast in the preheated oven until the meat juices run clear and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of the roast reads 160 degrees F (70 degrees C), about 1 hour. Remove roast and let rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving with sauerkraut.
serving: 6 servings
calories: 350.2 kcal
carbohydrates: 21.6 g
protein: 26.3 g
saturated fat: 5.8 g
cholesterol: 73.5 mg
sodium: 876.1 mg
fiber: 3.7 g
sugar: 12.5 g