Hot Apple Cider
Nothing beats a mug of hot cider on a cold winter day. This recipe is great as it calls for fresh apple cider and pure maple syrup. Start with only 6 strips each of the orange and lemon peel, and adjust to taste.
- 6 cups apple cider
- ¼ cup real maple syrup
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 6 whole cloves
- 6 whole allspice berries
- 1 orange peel, cut into strips
- 1 lemon peel, cut into strips
- 1. Pour the apple cider and maple syrup into a large stainless steel saucepan.
- 2. Place the cinnamon sticks, cloves, allspice berries, orange peel and lemon peel in the center of a washed square of cheesecloth; fold up the sides of the cheesecloth to enclose the bundle, then tie it up with a length of kitchen string. Drop the spice bundle into the cider mixture.
- 3. Place the saucepan over moderate heat for 5 to 10 minutes, or until the cider is very hot but not boiling.
- 4. Remove the cider from the heat. Discard the spice bundle. Ladle the cider into big cups or mugs, adding a fresh cinnamon stick to each serving if desired.
serving: 6 servings
calories: 162.7 kcal
carbohydrates: 40 g
protein: 1.2 g
sodium: 29.4 mg
fiber: 1.2 g
sugar: 33.9 g