Chef John's Deviled Eggs
My deviled eggs recipe is fairly standard, except I like to add a little cream cheese. Unlike mayonnaise, cream cheese firms up when chilled, and provides a little more luxurious texture.
- 12 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 red jalapeno pepper, sliced into thin rings
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon Sriracha or to taste
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup chopped chives
- 1. Place eggs in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a simmer over high heat. Remove from heat, cover the pot and let sit for 17 minutes.
- 2. Combine sugar and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Pour the warm sugar syrup over the pepper rings in a small bowl. Stir and set aside.
- 3. Drain eggs and fill the pan with very cold water. Let eggs sit in cold water until they are cool enough to handle, about 15 minutes.
- 4. Peel eggs and slice in half lengthwise. Remove yolks to a bowl and cover the egg white halves with a damp towel while you prepare the filling.
- 5. Mash together egg yolks, cream cheese, mayonnaise, Sriracha sauce, and Dijon mustard with a spoon or spatula until just combined. Stir in rice vinegar until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 6. Pipe filling into the egg shells.
- 7. Top each egg with a ring of candied pepper and chopped chives. Chill for at least 20 minutes before serving.
serving: 24 servings
calories: 137.5 kcal
carbohydrates: 4.1 g
protein: 6.6 g
saturated fat: 2.8 g
cholesterol: 191 mg
sodium: 180.9 mg
fiber: 0.1 g
sugar: 3.6 g