These meat-and-cabbage-mixture filled sweet rolls make a great main dish, and are also great as a snack. They reheat well, so leftovers are also great! Sauerkraut can be used in place of the cabbage for more of a 'kraut flavor'.
- 1 ½ (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- ½ cup white sugar
- 2 cups warm water
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup powdered milk
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ cup shortening
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 3 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- ½ cup shredded, processed American cheese
- ½ cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1. To Make Sweet Dough: In a medium bowl combine the yeast, sugar and water and mix together; let stand 10 minutes. Stir in flour, dry milk, baking powder and shortening, then knead mixture for 10 minutes, adding as little flour as necessary. Cover bowl with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes, then knead again.
- 2. To Make Filling: Meanwhile, brown beef, sausage and onion in a large skillet over medium high heat. Drain extra fat from skillet, then stir in cabbage, mustard, salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes. Add cheese and cook, stirring, until cheese is melted.
- 3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- 4. Flatten a piece of dough. Place large spoonful of meat filling onto dough and fold over to form a round bun. Lay folded-side-down in a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking dish. Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- 5. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
serving: 10 servings
calories: 630.4 kcal
carbohydrates: 55 g
protein: 24.6 g
saturated fat: 12.8 g
cholesterol: 69.3 mg
sodium: 1129.3 mg
fiber: 2.2 g
sugar: 13.9 g