Pico de Gallo with Cabbage (Mexican Coleslaw)
It took a while to get this perfected so it tastes just like our favorite Mexican restaurant. This is a great change up to the ordinary chips and salsa. It goes great with chips or as a quesadilla topping. It's different from your typical Mexican fare, but it is fantastic. This is a pretty forgiving recipe and you can adjust ingredients to your liking. You can add more cilantro, onion or jalapeno depending on your tastes. You can eat this right away but it is best after you have given the flavors an hour or two to blend. For those that don't like it too hot, La Costena® brand makes a great pickled jalapeno that has lots of flavor and not too much heat.
- 1 head cabbage, shredded
- 5 Roma (plum) tomatoes, diced
- ¼ red onion, diced, or more to taste
- ¼ cup pickled jalapeno slices, diced and juice reserved
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro, or to taste
- 7 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper, or more to taste
- 1. Combine cabbage, tomatoes, red onion, jalapeno slices, 2 tablespoons juice from jalapenos, cilantro, lime juice, vinegar, chili powder, black pepper, salt, and cayenne pepper in a bowl; refrigerate for flavors to blend, 1 to 2 hours.