Sean's Mommy's Roasted Root Vegetables
I wanted to do something different as a vegetable side dish. It was Thanksgiving, so I got a bunch of root vegetables and roasted them. They were a hit and are now a staple at our holiday table. I cook them during the year sometimes, as well.
- 1 butternut squash - peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch dice
- 3 carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 large sweet potato, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 rutabaga, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 parsnips, peeled and cubed
- 3 turnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch dice
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 1. Preheat an oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- 2. Place the butternut squash, carrots, sweet potato, rutabaga, parsnips, and turnips into a large mixing bowl. Drizzle with olive oil, and toss to coat. Season to taste with kosher salt and pepper, and place the vegetables into a deep roasting pan.
- 3. Roast in the preheated oven until the vegetables have lightly browned around the edges and are tender, about 45 minutes. Stir once as the vegetables roast to ensure even cooking.
serving: 10 servings
calories: 210.2 kcal
carbohydrates: 38.9 g
protein: 3.5 g
saturated fat: 0.9 g
sodium: 121.3 mg
fiber: 8.1 g
sugar: 11.2 g