Blueberry Cornbread in a Skillet
Sweet blueberries and savory corn are the perfect combination in this easy skillet cornbread that's perfect for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup frozen sweet corn kernels
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 large eggs
- 1. Pour vegetable oil into a 9-inch cast iron skillet and place skillet in the center of the oven. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- 2. While the oven is preheating, place corn in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on high for 2 1/2 minutes, stirring halfway through. Place corn in a colander to drain any excess liquid, then transfer to a medium bowl. Add blueberries and 2 tablespoons flour and toss to combine; set aside.
- 3. Combine cornmeal, 1 cup flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- 4. Whisk buttermilk, melted butter, and eggs together in a small bowl. Pour into the cornmeal-flour mixture and mix to combine. Gently fold in the reserved blueberry-corn mixture.
- 5. Remove skillet from the oven and brush the oil onto the bottom and sides until coated. Pour batter into the hot skillet and level the top with a spatula.
- 6. Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Serve warm.
serving: 1 9-inch skillet bread
calories: 305.3 kcal
carbohydrates: 38.7 g
protein: 5.1 g
saturated fat: 7.6 g
cholesterol: 62.5 mg
sodium: 371.7 mg
fiber: 1.7 g
sugar: 13.5 g