Jell-O® Poke Cake
An old Southern recipe passed down through my grandmother. You can vary the flavor of gelatin used in order to get a specific color for any holiday, e.g. lime for St. Patrick's day. You can top this cake with berries, sprinkles, or any topping of your choice.
- 1 (15.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 1 cup water
- 3 eggs
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup cold water
- 1 (3 ounce) package strawberry-flavored gelatin mix (such as Jell-O®)
- ¼ cup boiling water
- 1 (8 ounce) container whipped topping (such as Cool Whip®)
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13-inch baking pan.
- 2. Combine cake mix, water, eggs, and oil in a large bowl; beat with an electric mixer on low speed until moistened. Increase speed to medium and beat for 2 minutes. Pour batter into the prepared baking pan.
- 3. Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 24 to 29 minutes. Let cool completely, at least 30 minutes.
- 4. Pour cold water into a bowl. Sprinkle gelatin mix on top. Let stand until softened, about 1 minute. Add boiling water and stir constantly until granules are completely dissolved.
- 5. Poke holes all over the cake using a fork. Pour gelatin mix into the holes. Refrigerate cake until gelatin is set, up to 6 hours.
- 6. Spread whipped topping over cake.
serving: 1 9x13-inch cake
calories: 309.6 kcal
carbohydrates: 38.5 g
protein: 3.8 g
saturated fat: 6 g
cholesterol: 41.6 mg
sodium: 286.1 mg
fiber: 0.4 g
sugar: 26 g