Fried Tomato, Onion, and Mushroom Ragout
When I was growing up, my mother used to make a simple dish of fried tomatoes and onions that we would soak up with buttered bread. This is an updated version to which I have added mushrooms and fresh basil. My daughter loves this over whole wheat penne pasta and topped with Parmesan cheese.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 2 cups sliced white mushrooms
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat, and cook and stir the onion for about 5 minutes, until translucent. Add the tomato wedges and mushrooms, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes, until the tomatoes and mushrooms are cooked through and the sauce is reduced and thickened.
- 2. Sprinkle on the basil, salt and pepper, and stir to combine.