Aargau Carrot Cake
Canton Aargau is composed of Switzerland's most fertile farmlands, celebrated for fruit, vegetables and the famous Carrot Cake. Moist, delicious and light, it contains no added fat besides what's naturally contained in the eggs.
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1 cup ground almonds
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- ¾ cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1. Prepare the 9 inch cake pan by rubbing the inside well with a drop of cooking oil and then scattering a little flour over it. Preheat oven to 360 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- 2. Separate the eggs and beat the yolks into the sugar thoroughly. Add lemon juice and grated rind, carrots, almonds, flour, baking powder and salt. Mix well.
- 3. Beat egg whites until stiff and fold into cake mixture. Pour batter into 9 inch cake pan.
- 4. Bake at 360 degrees F (180 degrees C) for 45 minutes.
- 5. This cake is often iced with 3/4 cup confectioners sugar into which is beaten 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Little marzipan carrots are the traditional decoration.
serving: 1 - 9 inch round cake pan
calories: 191.8 kcal
carbohydrates: 26.2 g
protein: 5 g
saturated fat: 0.9 g
cholesterol: 46.5 mg
sodium: 64.8 mg
fiber: 2 g
sugar: 21.2 g