Vegan Halloween Chocolate Cupcakes with Vegan Matcha Icing
These moist and fluffy chocolate cupcakes are enhanced by the matcha icing that tops them. Matcha powder is aromatic with an earthy and slightly sweet flavor.
- 2 ⅓ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups white sugar
- ¾ cup dark cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup almond milk
- ½ cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon green tea powder (matcha)
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon almond milk, or as needed
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Place liners into a 12-cup muffin tin.
- 2. Combine flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, espresso powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Sift flour mixture into another bowl and sift again back to the first bowl. Add almond milk, oil, vinegar, and vanilla extract and beat using an electric mixer on medium speed until well combined. Fill each lined muffin cup 1/3 full of batter.
- 3. Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes.
- 4. While cupcakes are baking, sift confectioners' sugar into a bowl and add matcha powder. Whisk together to blend. Add almond extract and vanilla extract and stir to combine. Mix in almond milk 1 teaspoon at a time using a whisk or spoon until icing reaches a good spreading consistency.
- 5. Allow cupcakes to cool completely before icing, about 1 hour.
serving: 12 cupcakes
calories: 362.7 kcal
carbohydrates: 66.4 g
protein: 3.7 g
saturated fat: 1.2 g
sodium: 198.2 mg
fiber: 2.5 g
sugar: 44.5 g