Instant Pot® Irish Beef Stew
This hearty beef stew cooks in an Instant Pot®. It's full of vegetables and seasonings and has a savory sauce. I find herbs and seasonings lose their potency while under pressure, which is why I add most of them at the end.
- 1 ½ pounds beef stew meat
- 1 ½ teaspoons garlic salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 medium carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos (soy-free seasoning sauce)
- 2 teaspoons steak sauce
- 1 teaspoon browning sauce
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1. Place stew meat in a large bowl and season liberally with garlic salt and pepper. Add flour and toss to coat. Set floured meat aside.
- 2. Turn on a multi-functional pressure cooker (such as Instant Pot®) and select Saute function. Melt 1 tablespoon butter and add garlic. Saute until soft and fragrant, about 1 minute. Add remaining 1 tablespoon butter and floured meat; discard remaining flour in the bowl. Cook beef without stirring until browned on one side, 1 to 3 minutes. Stir and repeat until most sides are browned, 5 to 7 minutes more. Add beef broth. Close and lock the lid. Choose manual high pressure and set timer for 30 minutes. Allow 10 to 15 minutes for pressure to build.
- 3. Release pressure using the natural-release method according to manufacturer's instructions, 10 to 40 minutes. Unlock and remove the lid.
- 4. Add potatoes, carrots, and onion to the pot and stir to combine with beef. Close and lock the lid. Choose manual high pressure and set timer for 10 minutes. Allow 10 to 15 minutes for pressure to build.
- 5. Release pressure carefully using the quick-release method according to manufacturer's instructions, about 5 minutes. Unlock and remove the lid.
- 6. Add Worcestershire sauce, coconut aminos, steak sauce, browning sauce, rosemary, and thyme to the pot and stir to combine. Taste and season with salt, if needed.
serving: 6 servings
calories: 408.8 kcal
carbohydrates: 34.5 g
protein: 23.3 g
saturated fat: 8.7 g
cholesterol: 72.8 mg
sodium: 1297.7 mg
fiber: 4.6 g
sugar: 3.3 g