Cheesy Sausage Pita Pockets
A hearty twist on classic stuffed pita pockets. Combining Classico® tomato sauce, Johnsonville® sausage, and lots of cheese to give you a quick and delicious dinner!
- 4 pita bread rounds
- 1 pound mild Italian sausage (such as Johnsonville®)
- 1 (15 ounce) jar four-cheese pasta sauce (such as Classico®)
- ¼ cup minced onion
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
- 1 ½ cups shredded fresh mozzarella cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- 2. Trim about 1 inch from one side of each pita pocket and arrange onto prepared sheet.
- 3. Roll sausage into 32 small meatballs.
- 4. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Fry meatballs in skillet until completely browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. Drain meatballs on a plate lined with paper towel.
- 5. Stir pasta sauce, onion, and cream cheese together in a saucepan over medium heat; cook, stirring regularly until onion is tender, 7 to 10 minutes.
- 6. Transfer meatballs to a large mixing bowl; add 1 cup of the pasta sauce mixture and mozzarella cheese. Mix until the meatballs are coated in sauce and cheese.
- 7. Gently stuff pita pockets with meatball mixture using a small spoon.
- 8. Bake stuffed pita pockets in preheated oven until heated through and the cheese is melted, about 10 minutes.
- 9. Serve pockets with remaining sauce for dipping.
serving: 4 pockets
calories: 645.2 kcal
carbohydrates: 43.6 g
protein: 30.2 g
saturated fat: 17.2 g
cholesterol: 96.2 mg
sodium: 1991.3 mg
fiber: 3.9 g
sugar: 7 g