'Pizza' Shepherd's Pie
Frozen pizza dough often comes in two 1-pound balls, and you need only 3/4 pound for this recipe. Either freeze the rest, or cut off a bit, pat it out, sprinkle with parmesan and olive oil, and bake it alongside the pizza.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with garlic and basil, drained
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¾ pound frozen pizza dough, thawed
- 1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- 2. Cook and stir beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally and breaking up lumps, until no longer pink, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain beef and return to skillet.
- 3. Add tomatoes and black pepper to beef; bring to a simmer and cook until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Spoon mixture into a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate. Scatter mozzarella cheese over the top. Stretch pizza dough over top with your hands, pressing it onto the edge of the pie plate.
- 4. Bake in the preheated oven until crust is golden brown, about 30 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
serving: 6 servings
calories: 423 kcal
carbohydrates: 34.8 g
protein: 28.4 g
saturated fat: 7.9 g
cholesterol: 69.7 mg
sodium: 1254.6 mg
fiber: 1.9 g
sugar: 9.1 g