This is very simple and so good.
- 1 pound walnuts
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 (16 ounce) package phyllo dough
- 5 tablespoons margarine
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 ½ cups white sugar
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13-inch baking pan.
- 2. Cut phyllo dough to size of pan, and place half the sheets in the bottom of the pan. Grind walnuts with 1/2 cup sugar and cinnamon in food processor or blender. Spread ground walnut mixture evenly over phyllo. lace remaining phyllo sheets on top of walnut mixture.
- 3. Melt margarine with oil in small saucepan over low heat or in microwave. Brush over top layer of phyllo. Cut top layers of phyllo into diamond shapes with a sharp knife.
- 4. Bake in preheated oven on center rack until golden brown, about 30 minutes.
- 5. While baklava is baking, make the syrup: Combine 3 1/2 cups sugar, water and lemon juice in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat. Let cool slightly.
- 6. Remove baklava from oven and pour syrup over hot pastry. Cool completely before serving.
serving: 1 9x13-inch pan
calories: 236.4 kcal
carbohydrates: 30.7 g
protein: 2.8 g
saturated fat: 1.5 g
sodium: 78 mg
fiber: 1.2 g
sugar: 22.6 g