Chef John's Ultimate Steak Sandwich
In this non-traditional steak sandwich, the steak is cut into thick strips, so we're able to get a nice sear on the outside without having to worry about the inside overcooking.
- 1 (2 pound) fully-trimmed flat iron steak
- salt and pepper
- 8 ounces brown clamshell mushrooms, grilled, separated
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons barbeque sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 6 hot dog buns
- ½ cup mayonnaise, or as needed
- 1 cup arugula leaves, or as needed
- 1 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
- 1. Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat, and lightly oil the grate.
- 2. Cut steak into 6 thick strips. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- 3. Grill mushrooms for 5-6 minutes over medium-high heat until they begin to wilt. Remove the stem end to separate the mushrooms.
- 4. Stir mushrooms in a bowl with salt and pepper, sherry vinegar, and extra virgin olive oil. Set aside.
- 5. Grill steaks for 3-4 minutes per side over medium-high heat, until medium rare or to desired doneness. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read 140 degrees F (60 degrees C). Let rest for 5 minutes.
- 6. Whisk together barbeque sauce, cider vinegar and vegetable oil. Set aside.
- 7. Serve grilled steaks on hot dog buns with mayonnaise, arugula, cherry tomatoes, grilled mushrooms, and barbeque sauce mixture.
serving: 6 servings
calories: 634.9 kcal
carbohydrates: 27.2 g
protein: 34.4 g
saturated fat: 10.3 g
cholesterol: 105.2 mg
sodium: 566.3 mg
fiber: 1.6 g
sugar: 5.6 g