Chef John's Turkey Burger
This recipe uses some of the same techniques and seasonings as the shish kebab to improve the dull turkey burger. For something made with meat that is 95% fat free this is pretty good!
- 1 ½ pounds ground turkey
- 1 ½ tablespoons plain bread crumbs
- 1 ½ tablespoons ground almonds
- 1 teaspoon chile paste
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
- 1 ½ teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons garam masala
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1. Combine ground turkey, breadcrumbs, almonds, chili paste, garlic, ginger, salt, garam masala, lemon juice, yogurt, and cilantro; mix thoroughly with a spatula or clean hands.
- 2. Shape ground turkey mixture into a ball and divide in 4 even pieces; refrigerate for 1 hour. Form each piece into a patty with damp hands.
- 3. Preheat grill to medium heat and refrigerate turkey burger patties until the grill is hot. Grill turkey burgers until patty appears to be cooked about half way up the side and then flip, grilling each side for about 4 to 5 minutes. Burger is done when surface is cracked and juices start to rise to the top.
serving: 4 burgers
calories: 301.2 kcal
carbohydrates: 5 g
protein: 34.4 g
saturated fat: 4.1 g
cholesterol: 135.6 mg
sodium: 1025.6 mg
fiber: 0.7 g
sugar: 1.2 g