Bean and Sausage Soup
Hearty main dish soup for a cold winter day. Buy mixed dried beans in bulk - not prepackaged bean soup mix - and save a lot of money! Serve with sliced Italian bread.
- 12 ounces dry mixed beans
- 1 ½ pounds Italian turkey sausage links
- 1 (29 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 cups frozen green peas, thawed
- 1. Pick through and rinse beans. Place in a 4 quart pot, and cover with at least 2 inches of water. Bring to a boil for 2 to 3 minutes. Cover, and let stand in the refrigerator overnight.
- 2. Drain and rinse beans. Place beans in slow cooker with canned tomatoes, broth, white wine, and vegetables. Cover, and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours.
- 3. In a skillet, cook the sausage over medium heat until done. Slice links into 1/2 inch pieces. Add meat to slow cooker, and cook soup another 30 to 60 minutes.
serving: 8 servings
calories: 383.3 kcal
carbohydrates: 37.8 g
protein: 29.2 g
saturated fat: 2.5 g
cholesterol: 66.7 mg
sodium: 1560.2 mg
fiber: 14.2 g
sugar: 8.7 g