Slow Cooker Cauliflower Casserole
We love cauliflower, eat it raw as a snack, roast or steam it, mash it for a potato replacement, add it to a salad, but enjoying it as a creamy casserole with layers of interesting flavor is a great way to brighten up the dinner table.
- 1 serving olive oil cooking spray
- 1 link sweet apple chicken sausage (such as Trader Joes®), cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 large head cauliflower, cut into florets
- ½ (8 ounce) package cream cheese, cubed
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 6 ounces shredded pepper Jack cheese
- 4 slices bacon
- 1. Spray the inside of a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
- 2. Spray a small skillet with cooking spray and add sausage. Cook over medium heat until sausage are browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to the prepared slow cooker. Add cauliflower, cream cheese, butter, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes; stir to combine.
- 3. Cover slow cooker and cook on Low until cauliflower is fork tender, about 2 hours. Stir in pepper Jack cheese and cook for 30 minutes longer.
- 4. Meanwhile, place bacon in a large skillet and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until evenly browned and crispy, about 10 minutes. Drain bacon slices on paper towels and crumble once cool enough to handle. Sprinkle crumbled bacon over finished casserole.
serving: 6 servings
calories: 323 kcal
carbohydrates: 9.6 g
protein: 14.7 g
saturated fat: 14.2 g
cholesterol: 90.2 mg
sodium: 858.3 mg
fiber: 3.6 g
sugar: 3.5 g