Medium Cheddar Cheese Sauce (Live, Raw, and Vegan)
Everyone (well, almost!) loves cheese sauce over veggies, or for dipping. But of course there are all the pitfalls of eating cow dairy products. Here is a raw, live, vegan alternative that really stands up for applause! Serve over gently chopped broccoli (food processor may over-chop and thus juice your broccoli!), chopped asparagus, and any other food you would normally top with a cheese sauce. This is also a fabulous dip, room temp or cold. Take a walk on the alive food side...
- 3 cups raw cashews
- 3 cups water, or as needed
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ½ cup water to cover
- ¾ cup nutritional yeast
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons sunflower seed oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon tamari sauce
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1. Place cashews in a large bowl. Pour enough water over cashews to cover.
- 2. Cover the bowl and soak cashews overnight, at least 12 hours.
- 3. Drain the water from cashews; place cashews in a blender. For a tangier cheddar flavor add 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice to cashews. Pour enough water to come to 1/4-inch below of the top of the cashews. Blend until partially smooth.
- 4. Place nutritional yeast, onion, sunflower seed oil, salt, garlic powder, tamari sauce, turmeric, and cayenne pepper in blender. Blend until smooth.