Mediterranean Chicken and Pepper Casserole
Vegetables, chicken breast, pasta, and Italian cheeses are baked until bubbly for a delicious one-pot dinner for two. I like to serve this with a light salad and crisp white wine.
- 3 cups uncooked mafalda pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into strips
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- ¼ cup Italian green olives
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- ¼ cup grated Grana Padano cheese
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- 2. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta until flexible but not soft, about 5 minutes. Drain.
- 3. Heat oil in a stovetop- and oven-safe casserole dish over medium-high heat. Cook and stir chicken strips until browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Add onion, bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, olives, thyme, lemon zest, and pepper flakes. Cook and stir until the onions have begun to look translucent, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in the half-cooked pasta.
- 4. Sprinkle Pecorino Romano and Grana Padano over the pasta mixture.
- 5. Bake in the preheated oven until bubbly and the cheeses have melted and browned, about 15 minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
serving: 2 servings
calories: 479.3 kcal
carbohydrates: 53.4 g
protein: 28.3 g
saturated fat: 5.4 g
cholesterol: 53.4 mg
sodium: 697.8 mg
fiber: 5 g
sugar: 6 g