Fruity Sweet and Sour Sauce
This is the light pink and fruity tasting sweet and sour sauce that they serve in Chinese restaurants. The maraschino cherry juice makes the difference; don't ever throw it away again! Serve warm as a dipping sauce, or over meat as a sweet and sour sauce.
- ½ cup white sugar, or to taste
- ½ cup white vinegar, or more to taste
- ½ cup maraschino cherry juice
- ½ cup pineapple juice
- 1 ½ tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ cup cold water
- 1. Mix the sugar, vinegar, maraschino cherry juice, and pineapple juice in a saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- 2. Place the cornstarch in a small bowl, and stir the water into it to make a smooth paste. Stir the cornstarch paste into the juice mixture, and bring to a simmer. Stir constantly until the mixture thickens, about 1 minute.