Italian-Style Stuffed Peppers
Stuffed peppers take on an Italian feel with the help of Classico® Fresh Tomato & Basil Sauce, Italian sausage, Parmesan cheese, and Italian seasonings. It's comfort food kicked up a notch--and gluten free!
- 4 large green bell peppers, cut in half lengthwise, seeds removed
- 1 pound ground beef sirloin
- 4 ounces ground Italian sausage
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 (24 ounce) jar Classico® Tomato and Basil Pasta Sauce, divided
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Fresh chopped parsley
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray a roasting pan (large enough to accommodate 8 pepper halves in a single layer) with cooking spray.
- 2. Combine the ground sirloin, Italian sausage, brown rice, Italian seasonings, salt, pepper, garlic, Parmesan cheese, egg, and 1/2 cup Classico® Tomato & Basil sauce in a large bowl. Mix until combined.
- 3. Divide meat mixture evenly among the green pepper halves; press to compress slightly. Arrange halves in prepared pan. Spoon the remaining Classico® Tomato & Basil sauce onto the tops of the meat and peppers. Cover tightly with foil.
- 4. Bake until the peppers are soft and internal temperature of the meat reaches 165 degrees F, about 1 1/2 hours.
- 5. Remove from oven. Remove foil and top each pepper with shredded cheese.
- 6. Turn oven to broil. Place peppers, uncovered under the broiler. Broil until the cheese is melted and bubbly, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley.
serving: 8 stuffed pepper halves
calories: 638 kcal
carbohydrates: 37.3 g
protein: 48.2 g
saturated fat: 14.4 g
cholesterol: 171.5 mg
sodium: 1411.3 mg
fiber: 6.6 g
sugar: 13.1 g