Steamed Mussels with Fennel, Tomatoes, Ouzo, and Cream
Pick good fresh and alive mussels for this dish, preferably Penn Cove. The fresher the better. This recipe is simply amazing in flavor. You will love it. Serve with a slice of bread.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 bulb fennel - trimmed, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 large tomato, cubed
- ½ cup white wine
- ¼ cup ouzo
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 4 pounds mussels, cleaned and debearded
- ⅓ cup fresh basil leaves, torn
- salt to taste
- 1. Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in shallots and garlic, and cook until tender. Stir in fennel and tomato, and continue cooking about 5 minutes.
- 2. Mix white wine, ouzo, and heavy cream into the saucepan, and bring to a boil. Gradually stir in mussels, 1/2 the basil, and salt.
- 3. Cover saucepan, and continue cooking about 5 minutes, until the mussels have opened. Garnish with remaining basil to serve.
serving: 4 servings
calories: 339.1 kcal
carbohydrates: 21.2 g
protein: 16.3 g
saturated fat: 7.4 g
cholesterol: 76.3 mg
sodium: 245.3 mg
fiber: 2.7 g
sugar: 9.3 g