Bunuelos de Espinaca (Spinach Fritters)
When I was young, my Argentinean friend often had these South American fritters packed in her school lunch. I was always willing to indulge in as many as she would allow! Eventually her mother started packing extras! I've since lost her recipe, but this one produces the same delightful flavor and texture I relished as a kid. Enjoy for breakfast, lunch, or snack.
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- ½ small onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- oil for frying
- 1. Whisk flour, baking powder, nutmeg, salt, and black pepper together in a bowl. Mix spinach and onion together in a separate bowl. Add milk and eggs to spinach mixture; mix well. Stir flour mixture into spinach mixture until batter is evenly combined.
- 2. Heat about 1 inch of oil in a large, deep frying pan over medium-high heat. Oil is ready to use with a drop of spinach batter added to the oil bubbles immediately.
- 3. Drop batter, about 1 tablespoon per fritter, into the hot oil; fry until outside edges of fritters are golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Remove fritters with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Repeat with remaining batter, adding more oil as needed.
serving: 6 servings
calories: 238.3 kcal
carbohydrates: 15.8 g
protein: 6.2 g
saturated fat: 2.7 g
cholesterol: 63.6 mg
sodium: 301.7 mg
fiber: 2 g
sugar: 1.7 g