Macaroni with White Sauce
A delicious Arabian styled macaroni cooked with white sauce (similar to macaroni and cheese).
- 1 ½ (16 ounce) packages uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 cubes chicken bouillon
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 ¾ pounds ground beef
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- ½ teaspoon ground white pepper
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- 2. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta, 1 tablespoon oil and bouillon cubes, and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
- 3. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet. Saute onion until golden and add ground beef. Cook over medium heat until evenly brown. Stir in tomato paste, salt and pepper; simmer over low heat until heated through.
- 4. Heat 1/4 cup oil in a deep saucepan; stir in flour, then milk. Cook over medium-low heat until sauce thickens; stir in salt and white pepper. Pour half of the sauce over the cooked macaroni and stir in mozzarella cheese. Spoon half of the macaroni into prepared dish and top with ground beef mixture. Spoon the remaining macaroni over the ground beef, and top with remaining white sauce.
- 5. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
serving: 12 servings
calories: 536.4 kcal
carbohydrates: 55.2 g
protein: 30.3 g
saturated fat: 7.7 g
cholesterol: 63.1 mg
sodium: 471.4 mg
fiber: 3.2 g
sugar: 5.4 g