Peppermint Pink Valentine Mold
Don't throw out those Christmas candy canes they will come in handy with this recipe. This recipe can be easily doubled.
- 1 (.25 ounce) package unflavored gelatin
- ½ cup white sugar, divided
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 ¼ cups milk
- ¼ teaspoon peppermint extract
- 3 drops red food coloring
- 1 cup whipping cream, whipped
- 1. In a medium saucepan over no heat, combine gelatin, 1/4 cup sugar and salt, mix well and reserve. In a medium bowl, beat together egg yolks and milk, add to gelatin mixture.
- 2. Cook gelatin and egg mixture in saucepan over low heat; stir constantly until the gelatin dissolves and mixture thickens slightly or about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add peppermint extract or candy.
- 3. Add food coloring and mix. Chill in refrigerator until mixture is slightly thicker than the consistency of unbeaten egg whites.
- 4. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff, but not dry. Gradually add remaining sugar and beat until very stiff and fold into gelatin mixture; fold in whipped cream.
- 5. Turn into a 5-cup heart-shaped mold; chill until firm. Unmold and garnish with additional whipped cream, if desired; serve.
serving: 6 servings
calories: 176.5 kcal
carbohydrates: 19.8 g
protein: 5.2 g
saturated fat: 5 g
cholesterol: 88.3 mg
sodium: 101.7 mg
sugar: 19.2 g