Giant Stuffed Mushrooms
These stuffed mushrooms are too big to serve as hors d'oeuvres.....just one of these enormous mushrooms can be dinner for a hungry person.
- 4 large portobello mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- ⅔ cup kasha (toasted buckwheat groats)
- 1 ¼ cups water
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Remove the mushroom stems from the caps, and set the stems aside. Place the caps gill-side up on a baking sheet. Drizzle them with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Roast in the preheated oven for 25 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, prepare the pilaf stuffing. Chop mushroom stems. Heat the remaining olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook chopped mushroom stems and garlic in oil until soft. Stir in the cilantro, carrot, celery and kasha; cook 2 minutes more. Pour in water. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce heat to low, and place a lid on the pan. Simmer 20 minutes, or until the kasha is tender. Remove from the heat, and stir in parsley. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 3. Stuff the warm mushroom caps with the pilaf, and serve.
serving: 4 servings
calories: 197.8 kcal
carbohydrates: 29.2 g
protein: 6.6 g
saturated fat: 1.1 g
sodium: 328.1 mg
fiber: 5.6 g
sugar: 3.2 g