Southern Style Collard Greens
Southern-style greens like my mama use to make.
- 2 sweet onions, finely chopped
- 2 smoked ham hocks
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 (32 ounce) containers chicken broth
- 3 (1 pound) packages collard greens, trimmed
- ⅓ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt, or to taste
- ¾ teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1. Combine onions, ham hocks, and garlic in a stockpot; add chicken broth. Cook mixture over medium heat until meat is falling off the bone, about 2 hours.
- 2. Stir collard greens, vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper into the broth mixture; cook until greens have reached desired tenderness, about 2 more hours.
serving: 10 servings
calories: 188.5 kcal
carbohydrates: 14.2 g
protein: 11.8 g
saturated fat: 3 g
cholesterol: 33.9 mg
sodium: 1686.5 mg
fiber: 5.3 g
sugar: 5.4 g