Hamburger, Potato, and Kidney Bean Casserole
One of the comfort foods from my days at home (thanks, Mom!!!), which I continue to make. Ground beef, potatoes, and kidney beans with a tomato soup and bacon topping make a very hearty and filling casserole, especially great in the cooler seasons.
- 1 ½ pounds ground beef
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 ½ pounds potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, undrained
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed tomato soup
- 4 slices bacon
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a medium baking dish.
- 2. In a skillet over medium heat, cook the ground beef and onion until the beef is evenly brown and the onion is tender. Remove from heat.
- 3. Layer 1/2 the potatoes in the bottom of the prepared baking dish, and cover with 1/2 the beef and onion mixture. Spread 1/2 the kidney beans and 1/2 their liquid over the beef and onion, and season with salt and pepper. Repeat the layers, and cover with the tomato soup. Top with the bacon.
- 4. Cover and bake 1 hour in the preheated oven. Remove cover and continue baking 1 hour, or until the bacon is crisp and the potatoes are tender.
serving: 6 servings
calories: 466.4 kcal
carbohydrates: 45.8 g
protein: 27 g
saturated fat: 7.3 g
cholesterol: 73.5 mg
sodium: 1179.4 mg
fiber: 6.7 g
sugar: 6.4 g