Chipotle Macaroni and Cheese
Creamy mac and cheese gets a spicy kick with the addition of chipotle peppers and pepper jack cheese.
- 1 pound elbow macaroni, cooked according to package directions
- 1 quart half and half, divided
- 1 chipotle pepper from canned chipotles in adobo sauce, or more to taste
- 5 cube (blank)s chicken bouillon cubes
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon Spice Islands® Onion Powder
- ½ teaspoon Spice Islands® Fine Grind Black Pepper
- ¼ cup Argo® OR Kingsford's® Corn Starch
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 cups shredded pepperjack cheese
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese OR sprinkle with Spice Islands® Paprika
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2. Blend 2 cups half and half, chipotle pepper(s), bouillon cubes and garlic in a blender or food processor until well blended. Pour into a large saucepan; add onion powder, black pepper, remaining 2 cups of half and half and corn starch. Stirring constantly, bring to a boil; boil and stir for 1 minute or until very thick. Remove from heat.
- 3. Gradually stir in cheeses until melted. Add cooked pasta and stir until blended. Pour mixture into a greased 3-quart casserole dish (or 13 x 9-inch pan) and sprinkle with desired topping.
- 4. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until browned and bubbly around edges.
serving: 8 to 10 servings
calories: 556 kcal
carbohydrates: 44.2 g
protein: 23.3 g
saturated fat: 18.4 g
cholesterol: 98.4 mg
sodium: 986.2 mg
fiber: 1.6 g
sugar: 1.8 g